We’re just about at the end of the school year, so I offer the main takeaways that we emphasize at the end of the full day Toolbox training. There are ten tools in the Toolbox, and ten “takeaways.” Here they are:
- Focus on crafting and implementing effective BIPs.
- When you are at wits’ end and don’t know what to do to make progress with a particular student, it’s usually a good idea to order up a fresh evaluation.
- Count your days! When considering any removal from the IEP placement, be sure you know how many FAPE-Free days have been used up.
- Beef up the quality of your self-contained units.
- Be creative and thoughtful in providing “supplementary aids and services” in an effort to keep the student in the LRE.
- Watch your timelines.
- Don’t rush into the manifestation determination process.
- Be proactive in getting your staff trained on effective classroom management strategies.
- Explore Restorative Practices in the hopes that we use the Toolbox less.
- Call your school attorney!
If you are interested in the Toolbox Training for your school or ESC, please let me know.
DAWG BONE: TEN TOOLS. TEN TAKEAWAYS.
Tomorrow: How the school board is like the offensive line.